My poor Mom has been through hell lately with her eyes. She had cataract surgery on her right eye in June and she's still recovering. It started with a violent reaction to the steroid eyedrops that were intended to help with healing. She has glaucoma and the steriods completely screwed up the pressure in that eye. The glaucoma specialist has been very diligent trying every option to get it under control. He finally ran out of options and schedule a surgery to install a drain of some sort in her eye. Of course that didn't' go as planned either. The surgery lasted about 2 hours longer than it should because she was bleeding a lot.
All of that is to say that she was with me all of last week and she looked like she had been punched in the face. The first couple of days she was just recovering from the trauma of the surgery but as she started feeling better she was getting antsy for something to do but her vision still wasn't very clear.
But being the devoted daughter that I am I found a couple of projects for her and this is one of them. I've done so much quilting lately that I had a lot of batting and fabric scraps ready to become dog beds.
I didn't want her to have to do anything at all fiddly so I changed up my process in this tutorial ot make tufts instead of channels. Can you see how I marked them?
Here's a closer photo.
Everything for this project is free! Someone is always donating fabric to our quilt club and I pick up decorator pieces from time to time to use for the dog beds.
I rarely use thread in this drawer but it's all heavy weight cotton and it's perfect for the dog beds.
After a couple hours of work she had 3 dog beds made. The sizes of the beds depends solely on the fabric that I have. One of the green ones is smaller because that how wide the fabric was. It's that simple. My friend, Lora, will be happy to have these for Richmond Animal League.
Mom has a pile of batting scraps at home so she's taking the yellow one to fill herself.
Now to get back to quilting and make more scraps!
Yesterday was dyeing day but at the end of the day I had some spare time and decided to use it to restock my personal supply of lotion bars and lip balm. It took me all of 30 minutes to get out the supplies, make both batches and clean everything up. It's that easy.
Lotion bars are great if you have any very dry skin areas. For me, it's my feet. I use a lotion bar every night and sleep with socks on so I don't mess up the sheets. Plain lotion just wasn't enough so I keep a supply of lotion bars in a bag in the fridge and one on my nightstand. It works great.
It couldn't be easier to make.
First find a mold. I use my small soap molds but you could pour all of this into a plastic container and once it sets up just cut it into palm sized bars. Ice cube trays would work great too.
In a microwave safe container (I use a Pyrex measuring cup) mix together equal parts of:
Melt all that in the microwave. If you have Vitamin E on hand you break open some capsules and add some to the melted oils. That's a very messy affair so I usually leave it out.
Pour the liquid in your molds and waif for it to set up. You don't need to store it in the fridge but I find that's a safe place to keep it so I don't confuse it with my soap bars. This amount will last me and my friend, Cheryl, a year.
I primarily make lip balm for my Mom and friend, Becky. I rarely use it but I keep a couple of them around just in case. Making it is just as simple as the lotion bar from the perspective of mixing the oil but you do have to buy the tubes or pots. If you use the tubes you will want one of these tube trays. Where I buy my supplies the tubes are about a quarter a piece and the tops are a dime. Making this is a little messier and the recipe I use has more ingredients but I have them on hand already for my soap and lotion making. Given how cheap lip balm is, I don't think it would be cost effective to just make lip balm because the minimum quantities for the supplies would be way too big. But if you are already making soap you might want to give lip balm and lotion bars a try. Aside from the tubes and beeswax you probably already have everything on hand.
If you are interested there are tons of recipes on the web and the one I use is here.
Laura and Ian have less than a week left with us here so we are trying to pack in as many things as possible. Tuesday we went to Farmville (where my Mom lives) to hike part of the High Bridge Trail and visit with my Mom and niece.
That night we came home and Laura and I met up with Lora to take a jewelry class at Glen Allen Cultural Arts Center.
I've never made earrings before and it was fun to learn a few of the tricks of the trade. The silver ones aren't really my style but they were fun to make.The dangly ones are ones that I will probably wear and might even make more.
Yesterday Laura and Ian were out and I got back to the dye studio. Today we are shopping! In between I'm trying to get a few more postcards stitched.
I'm Vicki Welsh and I've been making things as long as I can remember. I used to be a garment maker but transitioned to quilts about 20 years ago. Currently I'm into fabric dyeing, quilting, Zentangle, fabric postcards, fused glass and mosaic. I document my adventures here.
To subscribe click the RSS Feed button and copy the URL of that page into your blog reader.
In Bloglovin you need to search "Colorways By Vicki Welsh" to find the blog.