It's ridiculous that it took me 3 years to make these pillow shams for the guest room but I'm glad to have had a quick project to work on this week while I finish up work on the website. Even with piecing curves and inserting zippers in the back these could have been done in one afternoon.....3 years ago.
They were needed because the pillows kind of stuck out on the bed. I know why I procrastinated. I couldn't settle on a design. I was making them much more complex than they needed to be. In the end I just followed the name of the color palette - Red Sunset.
The quilt is double sided. You can see the other side and more photos of the bed and headboard on the Gallery Page.
I even took an extra 10 minutes to change threads for top stitching the flange in place. I prefer flanges to ruffles. They are easier and I'm just not a ruffle kind of girl.
I had a small panic this week with the quilt. The mattress that I bought for this bed is REALLY firm. Too firm. So I bought a foam topper to help out. I completely forgot about the size of the quilt. I made it to tuck under the mattress as you can see on the Gallery Page. Fortunately the topper wasn't a half inch thicker!
The fabric also matches our red recliners so I recovered my chair pillow so it would match better.
At least I have 1 thing off the UFO list for April!
I am spending most of my time working on the new website and it's taking longer than I expected. I'm OK with that It's totally worth the effort because I want it to be well organized and clean when you get to visit it. But that means that there are only crickets in the sewing room and basement studios. By Monday I was starting to get a little fatigued at the computer so I've decided to spend at least an hour each day doing something creative. The UFO post inspired me to pull out a couple of my quick and easy projects and try to get them finished up this month while I finish the web site. I just don't have the mental capacity to work on one of my bigger projects right now.
2 1/2 YEARS ago Chris and I built this bed and I made the quilt and matching headboard using the Red Sunset palette.
I even dyed a bunch of denim to match with the intention of making pillows. The pillows have been on the UFO list ever since.
I mean, REALLY, how long could it take to make 2 pillow covers?
Yesterday I ironed the fabrics and got started. Surely I can have these done by the weekend even if I only work on them an hour each day.
I started by sketching a design idea and then drew it full size on craft paper so I would have a pattern.
I've designed a 2" flange around the pillow.
To make sure I had perfect quarter circles I used one of my favorite tools - Renae's Mini Rays - to draw the circles. Once I cut the pattern apart I needed to add seam allowance and I use the Rays to do that too.
I use this tool on my wall a lot too.
Here are the fronts cut out.
Here are the backs cut out. I will put a zipper in them so I'll be able to remove the covers easily for washing. For stuffing I'm using 2 old bed pillows.
The point of these is to hide the bed pillows.
While cutting out the big pillows I realized that the reds matched my den rug perfectly so I used the leftovers to cut a pillow cover for this pillow that I use a lot in the recliner.
I'll start sewing these today but tomorrow and Saturday I'm going to spend the days sewing with my friends from Country School Quilters. I have a QOV to work on there.
There's still a lot of denim left over and I'll think about making some throw pillows another time. They aren't in the scope of this particular UFO.
I'm Vicki Welsh and I've been making things as long as I can remember. I used to be a garment maker but transitioned to quilts about 20 years ago. Currently I'm into fabric dyeing, quilting, Zentangle, fabric postcards, fused glass and mosaic. I document my adventures here.
To subscribe click the RSS Feed button and copy the URL of that page into your blog reader.
In Bloglovin you need to search "Colorways By Vicki Welsh" to find the blog.