Yesterday was dyeing day but it was also "finish the stars" day. I got the last 2 rows of stars quilted and I've taken this quilt off until I finish my botanicals quilting class in a few weeks. This weekend I hope to get 2 veterans quilts quilted and then get started on some of the small lap quilts. I'll use them to practice my botanical quilting before I get back to this quilt.
I think you can see the quilting in the stars on this block.
Last night I got the rest of my scrap batting pieced and cut for the lap quilts. I think I have batting for over 20 quilts and that's plenty to get me started. It sure did clear up a lot of space on my batting shelves in the basement.
Today is my knit/crochet group at the library so I'll have a crochet project update tomorrow.
Easing back into quilting
I'm sick of talking about my arm and I know you are sick of reading about it. I'm actually doing much better and continuing to improve. But if you had told me when I first strained my coracobrachialis muscle that it would take 2 months or more to get back to full function I would not have believed you. I'm so much better but there are some movements that are still uncomfortable and one of those is moving the quilting machine diagonally. But I was itching to get back to quilting something.
That something was this quilt that Mom made. She agreed to let me quilt it with straight lines.
In the end I think that straight lines were just about perfect for this quilt! More importantly, another quilt is closer to being done.
Mom used some hand dyed fabrics that I gave her a while back but she needed more for a border. We couldn't decide on green or purple so we decided to use both. I pleated a fabric and dipped one folded edge in green and the other in purple. It resulted in a cool stripe texture.
A couple of people on Facebook have asked for the pattern. I don't know the pattern but it would be easy to draft. This is the block and it's 12" finished. The wide green side pieces are finished 3" x 12" and the center section is 6" x 12". The littler squares are 2" finished, They are bordered in 1" finished strips. After the 3 blocks are sewn together a 1" finished strip is sewn on each side to bring it to 6" wide. Does that make sense? Very easy!
She found a commercial print wide back that is an almost perfect match to the green. Here you can see the secret to straight line quilting. I space my lines randomly so that I don't have to do any measuring. It's consistently inconsistent so it looks "right" and it's much faster than measuring for equidistant lines.
Next up will either be one of my quilts to get straight lines or Mom's third quilt (a log cabin) to be stippled with my left arm.
Back to the longarm
After a month of nursing my arm I've decided it's time to quilt again. I still have some issues with certain movements so I'm not ready to do ruler work yet. Fortunately Mom has a couple of quilt tops that need quilting. Marcy did one last week. This is the second. I know the purple and green are fabrics that I dyed and I think they might be from a whole palette of fabric that I gave her several years ago. Once it's quilted I'll show you the border fabric that I custom dyed for her after she made the blocks.
I think I'm going to quilt it with straight lines. That will look nice, it will be quick and it will be easy on the arm. If all goes to plan I'll have the finished quilt to show you next week.
I hope you have a fun and creative weekend.
To subscribe click the RSS Feed button and copy the URL of that page into your blog reader.
In Bloglovin you need to search "Colorways By Vicki Welsh" to find the blog.
I'm Vicki Welsh and I've been making things as long as I can remember. I used to be a garment maker but transitioned to quilts about 20 years ago. Currently I'm into fabric dyeing, quilting, Zentangle, fabric postcards, fused glass and mosaic. I document my adventures here.