I'm determined to have Lost My Marbles as an official finish for June. That means it has to be bound and have the sleeve and label attached. I started the binding this weekend.
I wanted the binding to gradate with the shades of the quilt so I started by gathering/dyeing enough fabric to bind 10 quilts. You never know what you need and the extra will not go to waste.
I cut 2 strips from each. For this quilt I wanted a small 1/4" wide binding so my strips are 2 1/8". I could have spread out the quilt and placed strips around it and the sews together but I decided to piece the binding as I sewed it to the quilt.
I stitched a strip to about 8" from the end and then pick the next strip.
Then I'd attach the next strip and sew another section. I was surprised that this actually went pretty quickly and was a lot easier than trying to pay out a bunch of strips and keep them in order. It also allowed me to cut some strips shorter when I needed.
I'm about half way done stitching the binding to the back.I love how it's looking so far. The sleeve is ready so I can stitch that as soon as the binding is done.
To subscribe click the RSS Feed button and copy the URL of that page into your blog reader.
In Bloglovin you need to search "Colorways By Vicki Welsh" to find the blog.
I'm Vicki Welsh and I've been making things as long as I can remember. I used to be a garment maker but transitioned to quilts about 20 years ago. Currently I'm into fabric dyeing, quilting, Zentangle, fabric postcards, fused glass and mosaic. I document my adventures here.