Now it was time to get serious and patch the worn areas of the front and use as many of Flora's blocks as possible. Each block was like this and had paper pattern pieces pinned to the corner. None of these blocks were square and several weren't flat so piecing anything was out of the question. Instead I pressed under a 1/4" (more or less) edge. No worrying about points or straight edges.
Most of the patterns were on brown paper bags but I did find a few amusing newspaper clippings.
I spread the quilt in the living/dining room floor. We actually refer to this as the sewing annex because we mostly use it for overflow of my sewing crap. We eat 1 or 2 meals a year in here. Anyway, we keep the furniture moved to the sides and I had just enough space to lay out this 70" x 80" quilt. Flora made several Trip Around the World quilts and apparently she was starting 2 more. She didn't strip piece these like we do. No. She worked it in rounds one square at a time. You can see one big white patch beside the center panel. That's where the $10,000 patch is located on the back and I covered it with a big chunk of batting.
Next I used the 16-patch blocks to connect things together. It was at this point that I decided that the entire quilt needed to be covered. I have a pretty good supply of feedsack fabrics and auditioned using only one print for all of the open spaces but it just didn't excite me. I needed to fully invest in scrappy.
Deep in my stash was a set of fat eighths of vintage fabrics. I'm pretty sure that these are real vintage but, if not, no matter. There's a ton of variety and the sizes are perfect.
I started at one end pinning the blocks in place and as I did I tucked in the fabric chunks. I did not worry about how one block overlapped another. You can see that this windmill block overlaps onto 2 16-patch blocks. I didn't even cut away extra bulk. I did have to go back and re-pin some of it because I remembered that I was going to load it on the longarm so I needed the pins to all be horizontal to the edge I would be loading on the machine.
Next to figure out how to load and piece/quilt it.
5/22/2019 01:59:07 pm
This is such a great project and how amazing that you had so many of her blocks to use as a new top for the existing quilt (and the vintage fabrics from the stash to fill it in). Perhaps ditch quilting over the folded under edges and then some sort of all over to create a unifying texture?
5/22/2019 05:29:02 pm
The word that came to mind when I saw this was 'charming' - not a word I'm sure that your brother would use, but I'm sure whatever he does say is going to be very complimentary!
5/23/2019 08:03:59 am
I love the mish mash look of this quilt! This is going to be a heavy quilt with another layer on top of what was already there. Have you ever quilted anything this heavy on your longarm before?
5/23/2019 08:08:17 am
Wow, that is quite a project!
5/23/2019 08:12:22 am
that is looking very good. a totally scrappy....i love it
5/23/2019 09:54:55 am
Love the vintage hodge podge scrappiness of it. Interested to see how your LA likes it.
Comments are closed.
To subscribe click the RSS Feed button and copy the URL of that page into your blog reader.
In Bloglovin you need to search "Colorways By Vicki Welsh" to find the blog.
I'm Vicki Welsh and I've been making things as long as I can remember. I used to be a garment maker but transitioned to quilts about 20 years ago. Currently I'm into fabric dyeing, quilting, Zentangle, fabric postcards, fused glass and mosaic. I document my adventures here.