I knew if I would just focus some time that I could get this top done quickly and I set aside yesterday for that and for preparing food for a long, hot hike that we are on today.
I started by deciding on which of the ice dyed squares I wanted in the border and how I wanted them arranged. I decided on the dark purple blocks for the border. They were trimmed to 12.5"
That's a yummy pile of trimmings!
There was some math to figure out the sashing sizes. The border around the center medallion is 3" finished, the sashing between the blocks on the sides is 3 5/8". The outer border is 4" for a finished size of 97" square. I think I will dye a dark blue (like in the center) for the binding and I think I will dye a gradient for the backing.
I really love how this turned out!
I have over a dozen blocks left over for another project or maybe an upcoming giveaway.
In other news, we have a new clutch of bluebirds! I think they had just been fed when I checked on them because they were pretty lethargic and their bellies are pretty plump. Look at the Don King hairdo on that one on the left!
To subscribe click the RSS Feed button and copy the URL of that page into your blog reader.
In Bloglovin you need to search "Colorways By Vicki Welsh" to find the blog.
I'm Vicki Welsh and I've been making things as long as I can remember. I used to be a garment maker but transitioned to quilts about 20 years ago. Currently I'm into fabric dyeing, quilting, Zentangle, fabric postcards, fused glass and mosaic. I document my adventures here.