I'm not quite sure what all I did yesterday. I was busy but I didn't make any new coasters. I did computer stuff most of the morning and then I made the label for Kim's quilt in the afternoon. I'll gift it this evening!
To make the label I started with a photo copy of an orphan applique blocks from the first quilt I made with these flowers. On another sheet of paper I printed off the text that I wanted on the label.
Then I cut a hole out of the copy of the block and centered the text behind it.
Then I added "blanket stitching" with a Sharpie so it would look like the label is stitched on the flower.
Then I photocopied the whole thing to fabric. I line all of my labels by fusing a piece of white fabric the finished size of the label. That serves 2 purposes. It keeps the backing fabric print from shadowing through and it gives me a good edge for turning under the seam allowance. Then I fuse the label with Mistyfuse before stitching it down.
I always wash the quilts before adding the label. If I don't the quilt will shrink a bit behind the label and the label will be baggy. I wanted to wash this one for Kim because it's been dragged everywhere to show off and I want her to be able to take it right home and put it on her bed. I love the crinkly look it has now.
A good friend of ours had surgery yesterday and here's the card that we sent him to wish him well with hopes that his stitches look better than these. You know, it's surprisingly hard to make sloppy stitches!
To subscribe click the RSS Feed button and copy the URL of that page into your blog reader.
In Bloglovin you need to search "Colorways By Vicki Welsh" to find the blog.
I'm Vicki Welsh and I've been making things as long as I can remember. I used to be a garment maker but transitioned to quilts about 20 years ago. Currently I'm into fabric dyeing, quilting, Zentangle, fabric postcards, fused glass and mosaic. I document my adventures here.