This past weekend was sewing weekend with Country School Quilters. I probably should have stayed home to do more prep work for the AQS show but I preferred 2 days hanging out with Mom and our quilt friends. I took my Indonesian batik quilt to work on. I got started on this while we were on vacation and could have probably finished it there but I didn't bring my diamond ruler to cut the edge pieces.
As a reminder, this is the layout for the quilt. I bought the fabric at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival. They were pretty expensive.....more expensive than my hand dyed fabric...so I didn't want to cut them up too much. That's why I chose this design and I used the Diamond Design Ruler from Quilter's Apothecary. These design rulers are specifically for cutting, not for longarm ruler work.
I got all of the rows stitched on vacation and this weekend I got all of the edge triangles cut and these 4 rows put together.
Putting rows of diamonds together turns out to be very tricky! The method I used in the end was to chalk a seam line across the sashing to help line up the next row. It's fiddly but it works. I started with the longest rows and there's only one more this long and then I start going up each side.
The edges are not necessarily on straight of grain so I'm stay stitching them as I go along. The quilt will have a solid purple border to finish it off. I expect I'll have this one done in November.
To subscribe click the RSS Feed button and copy the URL of that page into your blog reader.
In Bloglovin you need to search "Colorways By Vicki Welsh" to find the blog.
I'm Vicki Welsh and I've been making things as long as I can remember. I used to be a garment maker but transitioned to quilts about 20 years ago. Currently I'm into fabric dyeing, quilting, Zentangle, fabric postcards, fused glass and mosaic. I document my adventures here.