RSC and floor cloths
Yesterday our marriage was tested when we decided that it was the perfect day to replace 2 fluorescent fixtures in the basement. Both had died, one spectacularly with flames when I put in a new bulb. We replaced them with LED fixtures. Of course it couldn't be done without one extra trip to the hardware store. But they are done and I have light in my exercise corner again. They kind of look like 2 idiots installed them but they are in and they work and it's an unfinished basement.
Next I decided it was time to cut my Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks. Since I am making 8 quilts I did 8 blocks of each. All 8 aren't necessarily the same fabrics. I'm using what I have. I even decided to "use what I have" for white fabric. I was going to set aside a bolt of white fabric but I have a bin of various white and white-on-white fabrics and I need to use them. There's no reason that the background can't be scrappy too.
Now that these are cut, I'm pondering saving the sewing until we go to Maine in August. I have these arranged on boards that can easily be stacked and wrapped. We will be there for 4 weeks this summer and I like to take projects that are already cut. Last year I took veterans quilt kits. I'll spend some time thinking about that this week but it would be kind of cool to just have a bunch of blocks cut and ready to sew.
I cut something else out of pink and I'll share it tomorrow if it sews up nice. You will NEVER guess what it is.
While I was pulling fabrics I found this really cool one. It's vintage but not feedsack and it's awesome! I must finally use it for something. It needs to come out in public and be seen.
Then it was back to the floor cloths. Here's the first motif. I have a 160 tooth base circle and I drew with a 60- toothed football shape. I had to go around multiple (maybe 4?) times skipping 5 spaces between each.
I did one set of lines using the hole that's on the point (left) and one set with the hole on the side (right)
Then I wanted to do a design in the center using the inside of the 160 circle. To make sure everything stays centered I first fit the outside template over the inside template and then I remove the inside template. I use lots of that artist tacky stuff to hold the templates in place.
For the inside design I used a 72 tooth square and went around twice, once using the side hole and once using the hole on the point.
A little coloring in and this one was done.
Here's how that floor cloth is looking. The new design is at the top right.
That photo reminded me to show you the gears that I used for the squiggle line. I've got loads of these shapes that I can put together any way I want. These are a lot of fun to work with.
Here's the second design. I only got 2 designs done yesterday because both of these took a while. Planning, prep, drawing and cleanup took about an hour and a half for only 2 designs. The more they are layered with other designs the longer they take. I almost messed up and drew through the "top" design with this one.
Here's how that floor cloth looks with the new design in the lower right corner of the photo.
They are coming along! I do love them.
1/13/2021 07:39:59 pm
The green fabric in the pink and green block, I have some of that fabric! You need to make more blocks so keeping the project until August makes sense. That dotted fabric is very cool and I will be looking forward to seeing what project you made with pink fabric. I have no guesses.
1/14/2021 08:20:05 am
Your floor cloth is amazing.Such talent and patience. Good that you used the artist sticky stuff to keep the gears stable. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the new found fabric.
1/14/2021 08:23:17 am
You mentioned the bins of white and white on white fabrics. Have you ever tried dyeing over the white on whites? I love dyeing those as the designs usually resist and add a fun texture to the fabric.
1/14/2021 09:03:05 am
I think I like those floor cloths better than anything else you have done.....even the graffiti wall. just awesome. i would hate to walk on them. haha
1/14/2021 10:57:37 am
I love your floor cloth! Very unique.
1/16/2021 10:37:04 am
Your marriage test reminded me that Jack and I very nearly didn't get married at all because of a home improvement project we tackled on our house we bought just before we were due to get married. The bedroom was a mess (old house) and we decided to panel it. Paneling was 'in' back then. Well, little did I know that my husband-to-be was anal about having each panel fit exactly and after he made me help him take a panel off umpty-gazillion times so he could shave a miniscule teeny little smidgeon off I was more than ready to tell him to take a hike. Needless to say that was the last time we ever attempted anything similar! He's also the guy that can tell if a picture on the wall is off by even a sixteenth of an inch. Good thing he has a ton of redeeming qualities!!
1/20/2021 05:09:44 pm
Glad your marriage survived - haha!! testing it is not for the faint of heart! LOVE the blocks you have cut out - these are going to be amazing!
Comments are closed.
To subscribe click the RSS Feed button and copy the URL of that page into your blog reader.
In Bloglovin you need to search "Colorways By Vicki Welsh" to find the blog.
I'm Vicki Welsh and I've been making things as long as I can remember. I used to be a garment maker but transitioned to quilts about 20 years ago. Currently I'm into fabric dyeing, quilting, Zentangle, fabric postcards, fused glass and mosaic. I document my adventures here.