I was so excited to get the other Hunter Star quilt top done 2 weeks ago and was ready to quilt it this week as the last thing before I start my new projects. I loaded it on the frame and picked a free motion edge-to-edge that seemed like a good idea at the time.
I didn't notice that I had caused this until I had it all done, off the frame and TRIMMED! Because the quilting pattern I used didn't go over the star centers I created fullness there. Stupid. Just stupid. Many bad words were spewed and I can tell you that I'm really good at profanity especially when I'm alone.
The profanity didn't solve the problem (it never does but it does feel good) so I had to actually start thinking.
Conveniently I have a file cabinet full of buttons and I thought I'd put a button in the center of each star. I tried hand sewing a button on the quilt but there were just too many layers.
Then I remembered that I could sew them on with my Brother sewing machine. It worked perfectly. I secured each one with a little dot of Fray Check on the front and back.
I wouldn't put buttons on a child's quilt but it works great on an adult quilt. I've used a quilt with buttons and it was just as comfy as a quilt without buttons.
Because of all the starch I used in this quilt I did wash it and that took more of the puffiness out of the stars. Now that my panic is over I'm really glad it happened because I love the effect of the buttons! It really puts focus on the stars.
Here's the finished quilt. I dyed a darker gray shade for the binding.
I love, love, love the backing and it was a great use of my Gray Skies mistake. All the pink part was cut off. I just hope there's a veteran at the hospital that likes gray as much as I do!
2/21/2020 07:02:36 am
Don’t they say there are no mistakes, just design opportunities? Love the end result.
I love it. Isn't it great when through a mistake something great happens. The button add on's are perfect for this quilt. When I made a quilt I called Joseph's Coat I added circle applique pieces to the centers of all melon pieces because of the same problem and I loved it after that.
2/21/2020 08:17:54 am
Very creative solution and it looks so good! Good call on using the sewing machine to attach the buttons. After all that and you will be giving it away?!
2/21/2020 08:34:34 am
I have never used a quilt with buttons on it, so I assumed it would make it uncomfortable. I am glad to know it doesn't
2/21/2020 08:39:52 am
That was a terrific save. I think it is better with the buttons than it would have been without them. you did good.
2/21/2020 10:11:16 am
Great idea, great execution - and you saved the original quilting which looks perfect with the Hunter Stars and on the gorgeous backing. Someone really is going to love this quilt!!
2/21/2020 10:55:51 am
I would have been cursing too! Great Save.
2/21/2020 12:06:13 pm
Brilliantly creative, Vicki! Bravo!
2/21/2020 03:41:41 pm
Great save!! - ;))
2/21/2020 06:16:44 pm
Great save! I love the button addition (not that I have a 'thing' for buttons or anything of the sort).
2/22/2020 03:36:05 pm
You are right. The buttons are a great addition. Good thinking. Nice quilt.
2/22/2020 09:52:26 pm
What a great SAVE Vicki! The buttons are the perfect focal point for the stars. Way to go!
Comments are closed.
To subscribe click the RSS Feed button and copy the URL of that page into your blog reader.
In Bloglovin you need to search "Colorways By Vicki Welsh" to find the blog.
I'm Vicki Welsh and I've been making things as long as I can remember. I used to be a garment maker but transitioned to quilts about 20 years ago. Currently I'm into fabric dyeing, quilting, Zentangle, fabric postcards, fused glass and mosaic. I document my adventures here.