I shared last week that I had cut out my second tunic. I made a few alterations to shorten it and widen it at the hip (darn it). I did this one color blocked with 2 "matching" prints. I love these Sew Batik rayons and I love that they are named in such a way that you can easily identify the coordinating fabrics. I washed and machine dried all of the fabrics so that I can treat the tops the same. I've washed the blue one and it didn't require any ironing at all. That makes these absolutely perfect summer tops! I worked on this in bits of time over the past week and, in total time, it went together really quickly.
Here's the pattern. I made this one color blocked like the red/black one but the short version like view B without the pockets. The next one will be a longer version to wear with leggings and I'll do it black and red just like view D. Another change I made was to draft a neck facing. The pattern calls for a bias strip for the neck but I felt it was a little too bulky. A 1: facing worked out perfectly and was actually easier.
It still cracks me up to sew 5/8" seams. They seem so HUGE! I remember when I started quilting and was told to use 1/4" seam allowances and I was sure that every quilt I made would fall apart.
Of course even a simple garment can't be sewn without some sort of snafu. Don't we all love picking out black stitching on black fabric!
Now if the weather would just warm up enough to wear my new tops.
To subscribe click the RSS Feed button and copy the URL of that page into your blog reader.
In Bloglovin you need to search "Colorways By Vicki Welsh" to find the blog.
I'm Vicki Welsh and I've been making things as long as I can remember. I used to be a garment maker but transitioned to quilts about 20 years ago. Currently I'm into fabric dyeing, quilting, Zentangle, fabric postcards, fused glass and mosaic. I document my adventures here.