Yes I did. I made a bathrobe!
I wanted one and I bought one from Target and I hate it. I really wanted cotton and all they had was poly. I shopped online for a cotton one but the ones with good reviews are very expensive so I decided to just make one. Yes, I picked gray. I almost bought white but I found myself thinking of all the ways that I could dye it. I know that dyeing toweling is a PITA so I changed my mind and bought an undyeable color. Plus, I like gray a lot in my wearables.
I used this pattern and I can tell you that the yardage on the directions is not enough! I had enough for my robe because I shortened it by 5".
I got this fabric from Joann and I have to tell you that it's really good quality. But I have to go back today and buy another yard so that Chris will get two sleeves in his robe. With coupons, these robes cost about $40 each but they are really luxurious.
I had just enough leftover to serge two new washcloths. See that gray speck? I have those all over my sewing room! I need to get Chris' robe done before the cleaning lady comes on Wednesday so she can clean up all the stuff that I miss. I have vacuumed once already but these bits seem to be everywhere.
Another quickie project that I finished this week is this pet blanket that I will donate. The top is a reject sample that I made for Paula Nadelstern. I rejected it, she never saw it. I made another version for her with a different background that looked a lot better. Since then I've been moving this top around from stack to stack in my sewing room. When I cleaned some shelves it surfaced again and I decided to finally do something with it. The trash can was one idea but then I decided on a pet blanket. The backing is a fabric that I bought to make a doll dress for Ella and it got permanently stained when I prewashed it. I reordered the fabric for her dress but didn't throw the ruined piece away. It was fine for the back. I loaded it on the longarm, used a remnant of poly batting and stipple quilted it. I trimmed the batting to the edge of the top and then used the backing to fold to the front and topstitch. The whole thing took about 2 hours. I'm glad to have the top and the ruined fabric out of my stash.
Last night before sitting down to crochet I got this quilt loaded. Mom made it to donate. These blocks are made from feedsacks and were donated (dropped on) our quilt club. Mom took them and made them into a "sofa size" quilt. With the leftovers she's making a veterans quilt top. I'll get this quilted for her this weekend and, hopefully, get Chris' robe made. Those seem like sufficient goals to accomplish before the Super Bowl.
To subscribe click the RSS Feed button and copy the URL of that page into your blog reader.
In Bloglovin you need to search "Colorways By Vicki Welsh" to find the blog.
I'm Vicki Welsh and I've been making things as long as I can remember. I used to be a garment maker but transitioned to quilts about 20 years ago. Currently I'm into fabric dyeing, quilting, Zentangle, fabric postcards, fused glass and mosaic. I document my adventures here.